Located in Oakland County, Michigan, Attorney Judith S. Gracey brings more than 30 years of legal experience into each one of her cases. One of the signs an attorney has made a difference in their practice is the praise of their peers. In the case of Attorney Gracey, her peers have described her as “one of the most knowledgeable and best prepared lawyers one is likely to meet.”
Public Service in Michigan
- Appellate Defender Commission – Appointed by Governor Jennifer Granholm in 2007 to this commission to represent the interests of the State Bar of Michigan. Later reappointed by Governor Rick Snyder in 2011, and again in 2015.
- Indigent Defense Advisory Commission – Appointed by Governor Rick Snyder in 2011 to investigate methods for improving legal representation for low-income criminal defendants in Michigan.
- 50th Judicial District Court – Attorney Gracey improved efficiency as Court Administrator.
- 48th Judicial District Court – Attorney Gracey served as Magistrate for more than 7 years.
- City of Flint – Attorney Gracey served as Assistant City Attorney and prosecuted thousands of cases and represented the city in municipal law matters.
Extensive Legal Experience
Ms. Gracey’s legal career began in Flint, Michigan as a civil litigation attorney. In 1991, Attorney Gracey launched a private practice. Her primary focus during her tenure has been criminal defense cases in the Metro Detroit area. During this time, she has successfully represented defendants in a wide-array of criminal cases. Attorney Gracey is an active member of several civic and professional organizations. She has served on many committees pertaining to the legal profession. Attorney Gracey enjoys teaching and has served as a professor for nearly 20 years.
- Bar of Michigan, 1987
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan, 1987
- United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit, 2012
- University of Cincinnati College of Law, J.D., 1985
- Brown University, A.B., 1981
Service While Pursuing Law Degree
During law school, Attorney Gracey held numerous prestigious positions. Some of the highlights of her early career included:
- Law Clerk in the Office of the United States Attorney for the Southern District of Ohio
- Legal Intern in the Supreme Court of Ohio